Monday, November 19, 2012

Catching up with Force forward Jordan Nelson
 
This week’s feature is on former Williston High School standout Jordan Nelson.  Nelson was the 2010 Mr. Hockey winner, an all-state selection, and led the Coyotes to a 3rd place finish at the State Tournament.  He went on to play in the NAHL for the Alexandria Blizzard where he had 27 goals and 14 assists.  From there he was drafted in the 1st round of the USHL draft by the Fargo Force.  He seems to be adjusting to the USHL very well in his second season, as he has 10 points already and is playing on the top line.  We caught up with Jordan to see how it’s going and to ask some of the questions our readers had for him.

 

Q:  What is your favorite restaurant in Fargo/Moorhead?
Nelson:  Noodles and Company by far.  I spend way too much money there!

 Q:  Who is your favorite NHL player?
Nelson:  Zach Parise.

 Q:  How would you describe your playing style?
Nelson:  I don't really know my playing style anymore, haha. It's changed but I'd have to say more of a power forward.

Q:  What is your typical daily schedule?
Nelson:  My daily schedule usually consists of getting up at 8, then a little skate for about 45 minutes from 8:30 to 9:15. Then we have workout from 9:30 to 11:00. After that I'll go grab a bite to eat at a buddy’s house or have a few guys from the team to come over and just hang out until we have practice at 3:00. After practice pretty much anything is open.  I'll just kinda hang out or try and find something to do.

 Q:  What are your playing goals/career goals?
Nelson:  My goals for this year are to get committed to a WCHA hockey team. It's always been one of my goals and this is my last shot at it so I'm trying to work extra hard to get there!

 Q:  What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?
Nelson:  My favorite thing to do in my free time is either watching J-Shore on Thursday nights or just hanging out at someone’s house.

 Q:  Who was/were your role model(s) growing up?
Nelson:  My role model growing up was Tyler Jundt. He's already been through everything and knows how all the systems work so I've just tried to follow in his path and take some advice from him when I need it.

 Q:  Do you have any pre-game superstitions?
Nelson:  Every game day at around 11:30 (after pre game skate) I’ll go to noodles and company with some of the guys. Then I’ll go home and take my nap; usually about an hour and a half. Then I’ll wake up, make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and head to the rink. Nothing too crazy.  Just during stretches and stuff like that I always have to be next to the same person I guess.

 Q:  What is on your pre-game playlist?
Nelson:  I don’t usually listen to music before a game.

 Q:  What’s your go-to goal celly (celebration)?
Nelson:  Haha I don't really have a "go to celly". I don't do anything crazy, just raise my hand I guess and celebrate with my teammates.

 Q:  What’s the best part about playing for the Force?
Nelson:  I would have to say the fan support. Last year we averaged around 3,700 a game and it’s always a great atmosphere to play in.

 Q:  Who is your favorite rival?
Nelson:  Lincoln.  It’s always a great battle between us every time we play.

 Q:  Who is your dentist?  BEST SMILE EVER! (from Darcy Schauer)
Nelson:  haha, Dr. Anderson.  Thanks Darcy!

 Q:  What are your strengths as a player?  What do you need to improve on?
Nelson:  My strengths would be that I'm a good scrapper down low for loose pucks and strong on the puck.  I need to make plays a little quicker and look for the open man. Also work on my shot some more.

 Q:  Are you looking at any specific colleges to play at?
Nelson:  Well any North Dakota kid’s dream is to play at UND and that’s still my dream so we will see what happens! Other than that, just anywhere in the WCHA.

 Q:  Why’d you want to play junior hockey (Insert Jack O’Callahan voice here)?  That one’s from Katie Schauer.
Nelson:  I wanted to play juniors to play college hockey haha and hopefully get a scholarship to go to school. (but mainly for the girls)… just kidding! Miracle quote haha.

 Q:  Anything you want to add (advice for our readers, shout-outs, etc.)?
Nelson:  Any advice?? hmm I'm not the best at this but never give up on your dreams of doing what you love because they can come true!

 
We want to thank Jordan for helping us out with our feature on him.  We’re looking forward to watching how the rest of the season unfolds for him and hopefully seeing him in a college sweater next season!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment